Finance Intern Needed at International Rescue Committee, Nigeria : The International Rescue Committee, a global humanitarian agency, extends relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction aid to victims of natural disasters, oppression, Addressing violent conflict in 40+ countries through comprehensive strategies.
At IRC, priding on bold leadership, innovation, and creative partnerships. We support individuals’ journey to safety through public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and rights protection.
In October 2012, they entered Nigeria, responding to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, their programs have expanded, reaching new areas after prolonged conflicts and insecurity in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe States. Presently, they are exploring interventions in the Northwest region.
Major Responsibilities at Finance Intern Needed at International Rescue Committee
As an Intern at IRC, you will report to the Finance Office in Mubi. As part of your responsibilities, you will be offering assistance to the Finance Assistant/Office in managing the daily accounting operations at the Mubi Field office.
- Assisting Financial Transactions: Aid the finance assistant in making payments to suppliers, contractors, and program staff, ensuring compliance with approved documents and authority delineation.
- Accuracy in Processing Payments: Verify the entire bill for accuracy and receipt of goods before processing payments.
- Compliance and Confidentiality: Your main task is to ensure that all transactions strictly adhere to IRC accounting policy, donor restrictions, and generally accepted accounting principles. Additionally, you must maintain the utmost confidentiality regarding both financial and job-related information.
- Proper Documentation: Assist the finance assistant in properly documenting, stamping, labeling, and filing all financial documents.
- Audit Support: Prepare necessary support documents for audit purposes.
- Document Movement: Help the finance unit by moving documents through the office system for approval.
- Scan and Send: Under the guidance of the finance assistant/officer, scan any finance document before sending it to the country office for month closing.
Finance Intern Needed at International Rescue Committee Common Duties
- Attend and participate in trainings organized by your supervisor.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from the Country Director.
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct, both in-country and worldwide, using the IRC reporting mechanism. Reporting violations is an obligation for all staff members.
- Assist in activities aimed at preventing sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform any other duties assigned by your supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Finance Officer
- Position Directly Supervises: None
- Indirect Reporting: Finance Coordinator
To be eligible for the position of Finance Intern Needed at International Rescue Committee, you should have an HND or bachelor’s degree in accounting from a recognized College/Institution.
You should possess a minimum of one (1) year of accounting experience, including your NYSC service year. Additionally, you should be computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in Excel.
Skills and Competencies
- Handling High-Pressure Situations: Ability to work efficiently in high-pressure situations.
- Organizational Skills: Capable of independently organizing work, prioritizing tasks, and managing time effectively.
- Interpersonal Skills: Strong interpersonal skills and an eagerness to learn new ones.
- Self-Motivated and Responsible: Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Effective Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with fluency in written and spoken English.
Standards of Professional Conduct
At IRC, upholding the values and principles stated in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. The core values are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In line with these values, strictly operate and enforce policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
IRC is committed to reducing the gender gap in leadership roles. They provide benefits that foster a supportive environment for women in our workforce, such as parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other allowances to promote inclusivity.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. They consider all applicants based on merit, without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By joining the International Rescue Committee in Nigeria, you can make a significant impact in crisis-affected regions. As a crucial member of our team, your role as an Intern in the finance department will contribute to our mission of providing aid, support, and protection to those in need. Value diversity and equality and welcome applications from individuals who share commitment to making a positive difference in the lives of others. Take the first step in your rewarding journey by applying today!